Sunday, May 25, 2008

A biriyani wedding

Two days back, I happened to attend a wedding of one of our family friend @ my fake-native - Trichirapalli (a.k.a) Trichy. Since mom and dad were away for some other marriage, I was sent along with my bro - dhamu - as some kind of representative.

My mom has this strange habit of attending each and every wedding in town just in anticipation of getting sufficient crowd for her sons wedding to happen in near future. Yea. Heights of proactiveness, indeed! They should have done their MBA instead of pushing me to get one for registering at shaadi.coms. Again, she thinks ahead of me.

Living outside the city in a serene township has half a dozen benefits. But it wasn't the case now. For a marriage @ 10 am, you need to get up @ 8 which is close to hanging himself for a guy who is supposed to be in vacation. After smelling some tea , 15 kms no-helmet-biking and a quick tanning, we reached the church.

Apart from me, my bro, few fords( and an equal number of dogs busy beside their tyres), there was no evidence of some marriage to happen. Not even the smell of biriyani which the bride's dad promised when he invited us. Soon after the band started playing some songs which it seems is a signal for all those who are standing outside to go in.

I was able to notice a tinge of ergonomics in the church seats. I am not sure if that was intentional. The seats were designed so small and compact that even half of my back wont fit in forget abt resting my whole body. If thats the case with me (fyki ... someone mistook me for first year btech guy and tried to rag when i was coming back from kharagpur after completing my MBA), I wonder what would the aunty and uncles who are having much bigger circumference would do. Thought it was made so to make people kneel at the temple. But I still fitted my a** in that piece of wood.

Mostly I ll ask mom to mention the exact time when the biriyani session starts if she wants me to come - Yea. Japenese JIT. But since I was given higher responsibility this time than my usual self and since it was my first christian wedding @ church, I was sitting ceremoniously and watching the sacrifices at altar.

As priest started the process, a lady's voice jerked me from my morning siesta. After a couple of minutes hunt, I was able to find the source (ie) the playback singer for the church. There was something about those songs. All are religious of course. Apart from that, all the songs appear to end in each and every paragraph. All songs were sung with the same tune and the lady was master in it. I couldnt help avoding a thought of Harris (Minnale/RHTDM fame) composing for them.

For attending a Christian marriage, either you should be a real close friend of the bride/groom or a die-hard music aficionado (whatever be the quality). Again the higher responsibility entrusted in me (and the biriyani of course), kept me under control.

The usually patient placid human being I had ever seen, my bro, finally lost it. he turned first smiled which was expected of him. So I reciprocated. Then he again turned and asked if we can go for a tea.

Then after some pleasantries from marriage-specific uncles/aunties whom i regularly smile at (and they regularly ask me to identify them though they know for sure that i wont), I was sitting b4 banana-leaf disposable plates. Then came the best-shocking-moment of the day. No Veg biriyani !!!! BOMB! "Only sambar rice, thambi". (thambi - brother)

Do you think I came all the way abandoning my 10 hr nap, getting tanned and never-ending performance of the church-bg-singer for this bloody sambar rice ??? Though I wanted to walk off, my leg glance of desserts in the corner of room made me continue the belly-filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment